How to Update Apps on ROKU
Keeping your apps updated on your Roku device ensures that you enjoy the latest features, improved security, and best performance. I’ve been using Roku for years and have found updating apps to be a straightforward process. In this comprehensive guide, I will share various methods to update apps on Roku. You’ll also find links to help you navigate Roku’s features and troubleshoot if necessary. So, let’s dive into how to keep your Roku experience fresh and up-to-date.
Regular Maintenance Check 🛠
- Ensuring that your apps are up-to-date is part of regular maintenance for your Roku device. Outdated apps can lead to performance issues or lack of access to the latest content or features.
New Features and Fixes 🌟
- App updates often include new features and bug fixes. Failing to update can mean you’re missing out on enhancements that could improve your viewing experience.
Security Enhancements 🔒
- Security updates are sometimes delivered through app updates. Keeping apps current can help protect your device from vulnerabilities.
Step-by-Step Guide. How To Update Apps On ROKU:
Method 1: Update Automatically 🔄
- Navigate to the ‘Settings’ menu on your Roku home screen.
- Select ‘System’ and then ‘System update’.
- Choose ‘Check Now’ to manually initiate an update check. Roku will automatically download and install any available updates for your apps and system.
Note: Roku devices are usually set to update automatically, so this method is typically just a force-check option.
Conclusion: This is the easiest method, ensuring your apps are always up-to-date without much effort on your part.
Method 2: Update Via the Channel Store ✨
- From the Roku home screen, go to the ‘Streaming Channels’ section.
- Select the ‘Channel Store’ and locate the app you wish to update.
- If there is an update available, you will see an ‘Update’ button. Select it to start the update process.
Note: Not all apps will show an update button, as many update automatically.
Conclusion: Updating via the Channel Store gives you more control over individual app updates.
Method 3: Remove and Re-add the App 🔄
- Highlight the app in question on your Roku home screen and press the * button on your remote.
- Select ‘Remove channel’ and confirm the action.
- Go back to the ‘Streaming Channels’ section in the main menu.
- Navigate to the ‘Channel Store’ and re-add the app. This forces a fresh installation of the latest version.
Note: This method is useful if an app is not updating automatically or facing issues.
Conclusion: Removing and re-adding the app can sometimes resolve persistent issues with outdated apps.
Method 4: Use the Roku Mobile App 📲
- Download the Roku mobile app from your smartphone’s app store.
- Connect your smartphone to the same Wi-Fi network as your Roku device.
- Use the app to navigate to the ‘Channel Store’ and manage app updates.
Note: The Roku mobile app provides an alternative way to manage your Roku device and its apps.
Conclusion: Utilizing the mobile app can be a more convenient way to keep your apps up-to-date when you’re not in front of your TV.
Method 5: Restart Your Roku Device 🔁
- Go to ‘Settings’, then ‘System’, and select ‘System restart’.
- Alternatively, unplug your Roku device from the power outlet, wait a moment, and plug it back in.
- After the Roku device restarts, it may automatically check for and install any pending app updates.
Note: Restarting your Roku device can help resolve issues preventing automatic updates.
Conclusion: A simple restart is sometimes all it takes to initiate updates that were stuck or delayed.
Youtube video to watch
Precautions and Tips:
Optimizing Your Roku Experience 🌈
- Regularly check your ‘System update’ settings to make sure automatic updates are enabled.
- Keep an eye on the software version of your Roku device and compare it with the latest version listed on the official Roku support site.
- Consider performing a system restart if you encounter persistent issues with app performance even after updating.
Ensuring Smoother Streaming 🎥
- Ensure your Roku device is connected to a strong and stable Wi-Fi network to prevent interruptions during the update process.
- Free up space by removing unused channels, as this can sometimes improve the functionality of your device and facilitate smoother updates.
- Be mindful of peak internet usage hours in your household which could affect download speeds for updates.
More on Roku
When keeping your Roku device up-to-date, it’s also important to understand the broader ecosystem in which Roku operates. Roku offers a range of streaming sticks, boxes, and TVs that provide access to thousands of channels, including popular services like Netflix, Hulu, Amazon Prime Video, and more. By ensuring that the software for these apps is current, you’re accessing the content and features designed to give you the best streaming experience possible.
Developer Updates: App developers often release updates to enhance compatibility with Roku’s latest features or to introduce new ones. If you’re curious about when an app might receive updates, you can also check the developer’s official website or its customer service for insights.
Understanding the Roku Platform: Roku’s platform is built to be user-friendly and straightforward. However, it’s beneficial to familiarize yourself with its interface. Visit Roku’s support for guides on navigation, which can aid in quickly locating update settings or troubleshooting common issues.
Channel Line-up: Part of managing your Roku involves being selective about which channels you install. The Roku Channel Store offers various free and paid channels. Sift through them to keep your home screen clutter-free. If a rarely watched channel needs an update, consider whether it’s worth keeping.
Updating apps on your Roku device is crucial for maintaining a seamless streaming experience. Whether you prefer automatic updates or like to manage them manually, the steps outlined in this article should help keep your Roku performing at its best. If you ever run into issues or have questions about your Roku device, the Roku Support page is an excellent resource. With updated apps, you’re all set to enjoy the latest content and features available on your Roku.
To manually update apps on Roku, press the Home button on your remote, navigate to the app you want to update, press the * button, and if available, select 'Check for updates'.
Yes, Roku apps are updated automatically as long as the device is connected to the internet and turned on or in standby mode.
If an app isn't functioning properly post-update, try removing the app and reinstalling it. Also, restart your Roku to clear any temporary issues.
Roku apps are typically updated regularly by their developers, although the frequency can vary based on the app and developer.
Yes, updating your Roku's operating system can help your apps run smoothly. Go to Settings > System > System update and select 'Check Now'.
Not updating Roku apps might lead to performance issues, bugs, or missing out on new features and content provided by the app developers.
Yes, you can typically check the app version by highlighting the app on the Home screen, pressing *, and selecting 'About' to view the details.
Rolling back updates isn't generally supported on Roku. If you experience issues with a new version, contact the app's customer support for assistance.
There might be a problem with the app itself or a compatibility issue with your Roku. Consider reaching out to the app developer's support for help.